Worth the drive

Ryan Wagner '18, Staff Writer

Several students commute from far areas like The Woodlands, Kingwood, Lake Jackson and Santa Fe to St. Thomas every day. Not every student gets to enjoy short commutes to and from school. Some drive over 45 minutes by themselves, depriving them of sleep, and limiting their opportunity to hang out with friends during social events at St. Thomas.

The biggest issue students have who live far away is the lack of sleep they receive.

“I wake up every morning at 5:15 and drive 45 minutes to STH, that with no traffic. If there’s an accident, then it’ll take double or triple that amount of time,” senior Chase Shanley said. “Therefore, the only thing I want to do when I get home is go to sleep, not worry about the three tests I have the next day.”

Students who live far away and participate in after-school activities have an even greater struggle with the lack of sleep and the ability to hang out with friends during social events at St. Thomas.

“Living far away and being on the STH Rugby team forced me to learn how to manage my time,” senior Christian Noyola said. “I’m not able to do as much as students who live close to STH, like participating in after-school activities.”

Many students do not use their study halls and free time in classes as they should. For students who live far away, it often becomes an essential necessity. Students who live close to STH may either do their homework later in the day at home or the next day before school. However, students who live far away must do their homework in their study halls in order not to be rushed later at home.

“Everyday in study hall I am always working on homework or studying for tests, I would be up so late every night if I did not have a study hall.”

On the other hand, students who live close to St. Thomas in the neighborhoods of River Oaks, Memorial, Bellaire and West U, are able to worry less. These students enjoy sleeping in more, shorter commutes, and the ability to slack off in their study halls. In addition, students who live in the areas such as River Oaks, the Memorial Villages, Tanglewood, Afton Oaks, Bellaire and West University can enjoy longer sleep, shorter commutes and more time to do homework. Also, these students are able to participate in after-school activities.

“Living close to STH gives me the ability to oversleep some days and still not have to rush to school,” senior Julien Zanovello said. “I get to enjoy a short commute to school and I do not have to worry about traffic and being late.”

Students who live far away from St. Thomas are not as fortunate as the student who live close to school. They are able to enjoy longer sleep, manage their time as they please, and can have good social lives. It is a price that many students pay in order to attend St. Thomas. High School.