The Eagle

• March 2Students topple last year's record selling over $574,000 in raffle tickets.

• January 12Faculty lead "Scholars" win first "Scholars vs. Ballers" basketball game

• January 7STH Welcomes prospective families on Sunday, January 7th for STH Open House!

Jay-Z’s 4:44 Album Review

Maurice Taylor '18, Staff Writer

Jay-Z’s 4:44 album was his thirteenth album after his 12th one in 2013. His album was highly praised and acknowledged even by critics. This was argued to be his best album to date  His album was number one on the US Billboard 200 and was certified platinum just five days after he released it in June 30,2017. This album received a Grammy nomination for album of the year as well as Record of the year for his track “Story Of O.J”.

His album came as a surprise due to his announcement that he would never make another album. On this album, Jay-Z touches on many topic including Racism, Stereotypes, his relationships and family life. His breakout song “Story of O.J” discusses the racism and prejudice going on in America right now and how being an African-American man is hard in America. He received criticism for his use of the N-word throughout the song and may people felt it was a shot at O.J.

Another breakout song in his album “Kill Jay-Z” talks about his ego and also references his old songs from his previous album. He also mentions in that song about his elevator incident with Beyonce’s sister five years ago. His arguable best song, 4:44 was widely praised by other rappers throughout the hip-hop community.

It is rumored that the song was really an apology to Beyonce for his alleged cheating.  In an interview, Jay-z states that he wrote the song exactly 4:44 in the morning and he thinks its one of the best songs he ever wrote.

About the Writer
Maurice Taylor '18, Staff Writer, The Eagle Newspaper
Maurice Taylor has been a member of the newspaper staff for two years at St. Thomas high school. Maurice is a senior at St. Thomas high school and has played for the basketball team the last three years. Maurice is a great student-athlete who hopes to continue his career and play ball in college. However,...
  • Jay-Z’s 4:44 Album Review

Entertainment

Star Wars: The Last Jedi, Preview

• Jay-Z’s 4:44 Album Review

Entertainment

Help is just a click away

• Jay-Z’s 4:44 Album Review

Entertainment

Prepare your photos for online presentation

• Jay-Z’s 4:44 Album Review

Entertainment

Create a custom header

• Jay-Z’s 4:44 Album Review

Features

An Open Letter to Melvin Larkins ’18

• Jay-Z’s 4:44 Album Review

Features

Exciting Changes Ahead for Eagle Publications

• Features

Eagle Chess Team Earns 3rd at Cardinals Cup Tournament

• Jay-Z’s 4:44 Album Review

Features

Students Topple Round Up Record

• Letters to the Editor

Kudos to the Schedule

• Jay-Z’s 4:44 Album Review

Features

Eagle Robotics reaches Semi Finals

The Student News Site of Saint Thomas High School
Jay-Z’s 4:44 Album Review