Star Wars: The Last Jedi, Preview

Connor McGovern '19, Staff Writer

Star Wars is no doubt one of the biggest media franchises of all time, currently worth a whopping $4.28 billion.

Ever since Disney paid for Lucasfilm, the company founded by director George Lucas, the Star Wars universe has been constantly expanding. With new books, TV shows, game, movies, amusement parks, and so much more.

The newest addition to the epic space opera, Star Wars: The Last Jedi, has many fans excited to see which storylines will be fulfilled. Hopefully, it will add to one of the best sagas ever created.
Episode VII, Star Wars: The Force Awakens, kicked off the next chapter in the Star Wars saga in December of 2015. Director J.J. Abrams had the task of continuing the story thirty years after the defeat of the Galactic Empire.

Many were skeptical about Disney taking over and were worried that they would tarnish the Star Wars legacy. However, Abrams exceeded expectations. Star Wars: The Force Awakens became the fastest-grossing film worldwide. Fans loved the new characters and storylines, and many now question what’s in store for the second movie of the new trilogy.

The official Star Wars: The Last Jedi trailer was released on October 9th, leaving many fans speechless.

“I was pretty excited after looking at the trailer because they added a bunch of new elements from the last film, which left unanswered questions. Hopefully, this new movie will have the answers to the questions that we’ve been waiting for” Marcus Gutierrez ‘18 said.

The majority of the unanswered questions refer to Rey’s background, Luke’s new role, and General Snoke’s involvement within the saga.
STH students have several theories about the new movie.

“I think that the movie will get into who Rey’s parents are,” Kristoph Sayavedra ‘19 said.

“However, I believe they we are going to find out who General Snoke is and we will discover more about his role in the Star Wars universe. I think (Star Wars: The Last Jedi) will follow a similar storyline as Episode V, Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back.”

J.J Abrams set the bar high, breaking many records with Episode VII, Star Wars: The Force Awakens. Episode VIII, Star Wars: The Last Jedi, under the direction of Rian Johnson, has the daunting task of reaching expectations while maintaining the integrity of the Star Wars legacy. May the force be with him!